A History of Quality
Kupferle has manufactured American made goods in the St. Louis area for over 160 years. We now produce a number of full product lines designed to improve and maintain potable water quality throughout water distribution systems. Innovative ideas and products have always contributed to Kupferle's growth and success. We provide a progressive approach and a commitment to high quality products and services to waterworks professionals. In this ongoing effort, Kupferle Technology Vans are always on the move across the US and offer a walkthrough exhibit of our latest flushing and sampling innovations. Our goal is to improve your water quality while saving time, water, and money!
The Kupferle Foundry Company of St. Louis, Missouri was started in 1857 by John C. Kupferle. The Foundry was known for manufacturing all sorts of items from shoe lasts, saw clamps, counter stools, well wheels, laundry irons, to saloon door hinges. About thirty years after Kupferle opened their doors they started manufacturing water hydrants. The first water products that were manufactured are still being manufactured today such as the Eclipse Hydrant #1, #2, and the #36 Street Washer. In 1948, Leo Filstead (grandfather of Dan McKeague) & Joseph Ebling purchased Kupferle and moved to Hempstead St. This was also the year the foundry operations ended and all foundry work was outsourced. In 1950, Leo bought Joseph out of his shares and became sole owner, but only three years later Leo became sick. The company was going bankrupt and was sold for one dollar from the courthouse steps. Four years later, the same man sold the Kupferle Foundry to Walter McKeague, husband of Patricia (daughter of Leo). In 1981 Walter handed over the reins to his son, Dan McKeague. Focused on new product development and marketing, Kupferle added manufacturer representatives in all states, found distributors from coast to coast, added CNC technology and new products such as the MainGuard and Truflo lines. Kupferle was growing so much that an addition was made to the Hempstead location in 1999. In 2005 the entire company was moved to the current location at 2511 N. Ninth Street, just 18 blocks north of the St Louis Arch. Our facility encompasses 30,000 square feet of space, and owns an entire city block for further expansion. In 2017 we celebrated our 160th anniversary as one of St. Louis’s oldest companies. With new innovations like our Intelligent monitoring and flushing product line, our mission continues to be about quality and cost efficient products.